Sunday, November 6, 2011

Let's talk Katy Perry

So when I was surfing around on YouTube, avoiding my homework (obviously), I came across this old Katy Perry song that I had completely forgotten. It's called "Ur So Gay" and it's from the time when she was really completely unheard of and just trying to introduce herself to the music world before releasing her songs predicted to become hits ("I Kissed A Girl" and "Hot n Cold") back in 2008. The music video to "Ur So Gay" is actually really funny and I remember watching it before I knew who she was and before I'd even heard "I Kissed A Girl". It uses barbie dolls. Mhmmmmm. 
I guess you could interpret it as homophobic, but personally, I think it's more just a commentary on some metrosexual guy who's trying to act all cool and hipster with his hybrid car, Hemingway quotes, soy food and skinny jeans. The music video also kind of makes you think it's about some guy who's really superficial because he's only interested in getting together with her after she changes her look. 

Check it out:



It's interesting to see how much she's changed her style since then...  She used to be much more quirky and genuine, I think. It makes me sad. :( I'm not saying I don't like her music now though. Don't get me wrong, it's still fun to jump around to, ya know? 

The second Katy Perry song that I noticed, which I had not heard before, was "Thinking of You" from all the way back in 2009. I clicked on it because her music videos usually make me happy, but this one was really sad! :'( If you want to see what I mean, you can watch it:


It has the guy from Kyle XY. I never saw that show but I saw a lot of ads for it. Wait, is it still going on? Huh. I don't know, and I really don't care enough to check... But do you see what I mean? Sad!! But the clothes are really awesome.

Just to balance out the sadness of that last video, I'm gonna include a happier one. Have you seen the video for Hot n Cold? Yes? No? Yes? Make up your mind already!! You're so HOT AND COLD!!! AHAHAHAHA. EEZ FUNNY, BECAUSE DEE SONG EEZ CALLED "HOT N COLD". (Family Guy joke.) You can't see it but I'm slapping my knee. ....Okay now I just feel stupid.



So to conclude, I must admit I like her music videos... and I find a lot of her music catchy and fun to sing along to. She's a really great entertainer and performer, but I think as a musician, I don't like her all that much. She doesn't have a good voice unless you edit it (you should hear her live, it's horrible), and she doesn't even write her own music! I think she's mostly popular cause she's insanely gorgeous (you know it's true), her songs are catchy, and she's so often found shooting things out of her boobs. Again, you know it's true.

Okay, to conclude this post on a goofy note, is this not the most adorable thing you've ever seen?


Ya, I know it's not related to Katy Perry. But look at that!! Doesn't that just make your day??

No comments:

Post a Comment