Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Mix Tape #3: Get your geek on, son!

So as you guys all know, I pride myself in being a huge geek/nerd. And not in an Ooh-look-at-me-I'm-so-hip-and-different-with-my-chunky-black-glasses-and-my-suspenders-I-don't-follow-the-rules-of-society-I'm-edgy-and-different-but-not-a-legitimate-dork-cuz-that-would-be-like-so-uncool kind of way.
Sorry if that was weird, I just really hate it when people try to be different just so they'll get noticed. I mean, isn't purposefully not bending to the ways of society just as bad as conforming? I don't know, I just hate it when people aren't themselves. The ironic part of all of this is that I DO wear chunky black glasses (prescription fyi) and I DO love and wear suspenders... Oh what a hypocrite you are, Ms. Lady Calypso... Anyways, as I said, I am a nerd. A real nerd. And by that, I mean I can be a dork and a loser and a freak. And I think we should all try to embrace that part of ourselves. ...Great, now I'm beginning to sound like an episode of Glee. Let's just get to the mix tape.

I made this mix so that we can all bring out that inner geekiness. Enjoy!

1. "Constellations" by Darwin Deez
Darwin Deez is, quite possibly, one of the most hilariously hipster people I have ever seen. He has the craziest hairstyle on the planet and he wears this really awkwardly thin headband around the middle of his forehead which he never, ever takes off. Basically: he's very funny. Anywaysss, I actually like this song a lot. It's sort of about space and the cosmos and constellations and stuff. The music video is really good too. You should go check it out. :)

2. "She Blinded Me With Science" by Thomas Dolby
I. Love. This. Song. It is sooooo good. And a classic. (At least for me.) I've never been quite clear on what it's all about though. I've always thought it was a song about a guy who's really into his science/math teacher but I don't know, that might just be something I made up in my head. What do you think? Go listen and let me know! Either way, it is an awesome song. She blinded me with science! SCIENCE!

3. "Pancreas" by Weird Al Yankovic
It's Weird Al, so of course it's hilarious. Now I know what you're thinking, where's "White & Nerdy"? Doesn't that seem like a no-brainer? I mean, it has "nerdy" in the title! Yes. Yes, yes, yes, it is the perfect song. But I thought I'd do a slightly less well known Weird Al. This song is really funny and it teaches you about a vital part of the body! If you're a nerd, you'll love learning that. :)

4. "Home At Last" by Steely Dan
We really are all over the place today aren't we? Luckily, nerdiness spans over a wide range of styles and subjects. I picked this song because it's about the Odyssey. And I really like Steely Dan. You know what, mostly because I really like Steely Dan... But still! I love it when songs are based off of books or historical events. It's just so cool!

5. "Ramble On" by Led Zeppellin
This song is great. And can you guess why I picked it? Go listen to it and try to figure it out! I'll wait. Done? Did you like it? Nah, you probably didn't listen but just kept on reading because you're LAZY... Don't worry about it, that's what I would have done. Anyways, I'll tell you why. It's happening in Middle Earth! That's right, Lord of the Rings. Led Zeppellin's music is actually significantly inspired by JRR Tolkien, did you know that? Oh yeah. The Battle of Evermore, Stairway to Heaven... I know right? <3

6. "Robots" by Flight of the Conchords
Flight of the Conchords.... GODS. So, so funny. They are the fourth most popular folk-parody duo in New Zealand (if you got that joke then you're obviously already familiar with them). No matter, they are undeniably awesome. You actually NEED to check them out now and listen to alllll of their stuff. This is the perfect song for a sci-fi geek like me. Honestly, it's the perfect song for anyone, geek or non-geek (synonymous with non-awesome btw). And yes, the year 2000 stuff is a JOKE. Get with it, people!

7. "Starman" by David Bowie
David Bowie is also one of my all time fav musicians... My mom disagrees though... She doesn't like my Bowie t-shirts. :'( Woe is me... Anywho, there are just so many Bowie songs from the Ziggy Stardust album that would be PERFECT for this mix tape, but I decided to do "Starman". It's a very special song for me, because it was the first song I ever heard from the album and it's what sparked my love for his sheer brilliance. I sat down and listened to all his other space songs and fell in love with him. This song just always makes me feel so happy and uplifted... It's one of those things that can just totally turn my mood around. :) I hope you like it too. Some of my other favorite Bowie songs are "Ziggy Stardust", "John, I'm Only Dancing", "Modern Love", "Suffragette City", "Space Oddity" and oh, who am I kidding, I love them all sooo much!!

8. "Space Oddity" by David Bowie
You know what, I'm just gonna do it. David Bowie is the greatest thing ever, so I don't feel bad about including a second of his songs. If I had it my way, everybody would have a dose of at least 5 bowie songs a day! At least! Okay, that might get annoying, but you know what I mean. And don't worry, it's okay if you don't like David Bowie. I won't say anything. Just know you're less of a human being. (I'm talking to you, MOM.)

Okay, well this is a really long post... I think Major Tom is a sad, but good way to end this mix. I hope you liked it! It was a little more silly than other mixes but nerdiness is a silly thing.

Embrace it, my friend. Embrace the silliness. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment