Sunday, October 16, 2011

In which I realize I suck at finding the bright side. (But I kill at finding the gross and disturbing side.)

Hello! I'm sad... Why you ask? Well, I was planning on writing a special post today about something I got a little while back but I didn't get all the pictures for it taken! So now I can't post it today... I know, it's tragic. I can tell you're really torn up by the news. STAY CALM, you'll get through this.
Anyways.... how are you doing? I'm good. Wait, no I'm not! I'm mad! My stupid computer convinced me to install the latest AVG thing and now it's controlling my Google searches and it won't let me see suggestions... You know how, when you type a phrase (ex: "why is there") into Google it suggests the most frequently searched things starting with that phrase, like "why is there fuzz on a tennis ball" and such? Well mine doesn't do that anymore.. :( It's making me very sad.
On the bright side... give me a minute, I need to think of something bright. Hmm. Oh, I saw Contagion!! I don't know if you've heard of that movie or not, but it is super wicked awesome dawg. I looovved it. And I saw it right after reading The Hot Zone, so it was great timing. Have you heard of The Hot Zone? It's basically this book about this virus called Ebola and some of it's sister viruses (ex: Marburg) and this time that it broke out in the suburbs of Washington. Ebola is pretty much the scariest thing ever. There's no cure, it kills 90% of its victims and some strains of it can be transferred through the air (aka you just have to breathe it in to get infected). If that's not bad enough, it's got really horrible symptoms. Basically, your eyes turn red and your skin gets all blotchy and the connective tissues in your face dissolve and then your internal organs, including your brain, start to liquify and you vomit blood and then you "crash and bleed" which means you start bleeding from every orifice of your body and then die. Pleasant, right? And that's leaving out the really gross stuff. I hope you weren't eating something just now. Anywho, the book was really interesting so when I heard about Contagion, I decided to go see it. Contagion is sooooo good. I think what makes the movie scary isn't really the disease itself, which had much less dramatic and disgusting symptoms then Ebola, but just how realistic it was. Something like that could happen any day and that's pretty freaky... I also really loved how the movie was filmed. They used this really, really short depth of field, so that the main focus of the scene was really sharp and clear and then everything around it was this sort of hazy, dream like blur. The lighting was also really cool. You should go see it. NOW. Wow, I just realized that I started this train of thought with "on the bright side" and then went on to describe liquified organs and vomiting blood... I think I need to take a close look at my life.

Just in case you're a squeamish type, here is a picture of my friend's kitten to help you clear your mind of everything just mentioned. (Except for when I recommended Contagion. Cause it's really awesome and you need to go see it. So yeah. Don't forget that part.):


On this adorable note, I shall make my speedy depart.

No comments:

Post a Comment