Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Mix Tape #1: WORKOUT FUNKY LIKE

Behold! 'Tis my first weekly mix tape... Be it pleasing to your eyes--I mean ears?

I made it as a workout mix tape for running and lifting weights and getting exercise and releasing all those glorious endorphins! Obviously, because of this, it's very peppy and for the most part, fast paced. I also tried to find songs with good beats and a lot of energy so you can really get into it and forget how exhausting and unpleasant exercise really is. Unless you're one of those endorphin junkies... then I guess it could be fun... no. eww.

This one is a longer mix, just over 50 minutes, so you can really get a good workout. Enjoy!

1. “Push It” by Salt ‘n’ Pepa
Yes. That's right. PUSH IT. This was a song released as a single in 1986 and it is awesome. Because of this song, Salt n Pepa was the first female rap act to go gold or platinum, so obviously other people also found it to be awesome. :) I think that it is a really great song to run along to but remember, it's only for the sexy people!

2. “Another One Bites the Dust” by Queen
My brother and I have spent many an afternoon singing along with Freddy Mercury and the boys and I just had to include it. "Another One Bites the Dust" was probably Queen's most popular song ever and definitely the most recognizable today. I think. Something cool: Michael Jackson was the one who originally told Freddy to release the song as a single! Ooh and, after its release, Christian Evangelists tried to convince the public that the song contained "backward masking" which is when a song says a hidden message if you play it backwards. They were convinced that, played backwards, you could hear them singing "decide to smoke marijuana, decide to smoke marijuana". Crazy, right?

3. "Tighten Up" by The Black Keys
I loooovvve The Black Keys. If you haven't heard them before then you need to check them out RIGHT NOW. They're a band made up of two white and nerdy looking guys who sound way more soulful and blues-y then you'd ever expect them to sound. Also, they make amazing and hilarious music videos. Check those out too! They have this dinosaur puppet in them named Frank. He's a Funkesaurus Rex and a real player. Haha, you'll see what I mean.

4. "Let's Work" by Prince
I think this is a great song for a workout playlist because it's got a great beat and good energy. Prince always makes me want to move, how about you? What artist makes you want to get your groove on?

5. "Burning Up" by Madonna
Madonna's music always has a great beat as well. I know a lot of people don't like her anymore but I have to say, she was revolutionary for her time and I respect that! I think her voice has also improved over the course of her career, okay? Don't hate on Madonna. Just don't, it's not cool.

6. "Teenagers" by My Chemical Romance
This song is just so... mind-bogglingly brilliant!!! I just love the way Gerard Way sings this and the whole musical style of it is so splendiferous and so different from their usual sound. It's pretty different from the other songs on my list, a little less pep, a little more angst, but I just had to include it. It also has a distinct beat and I really like it for lifting weights.

7. "Suffragette City" by David Bowie
A classic Bowie song. And one of my favorites. :) It's from his Ziggy Stardust album, which is probably also my favorite of his albums! Wham bam thank ya ma'am!

8. "Bulletproof" by La Roux
I always think of running around California when I here this song. I first heard it last summer when I was visiting the golden coast, and it was crazzzy popular and I remember it playing on the radios non-stop, all the time. I eventually bought it and whenever I went out with my Cali friends I'd listen to it so it always makes me happy and hyper. It's also got the perfect beat for running around, lifting weights... It'll have you sweating bullets! <-- this is an example of a failed pun. you're welcome.

9. "She Bop" by Cyndi Lauper
First off, I love the way Cyndi's name is spelled! I love it when people spell their names in weird and original ways! There's a girl in my health class named "Dallana" (pronounced Diana) and another girl I know named "Lili" (pronounced just like Lily). I'm just so jealous... My name is so boring in comparison. :( Anywho, this song really doesn't make any sense but it's fun to sing along to. It's also fun to dance around to and I have to say that as a result, I look really weird when I run and listen to it at the same time. I kind of wiggle and bounce around as I run, which looks pretty hilarious, I'm sure.

10. "I'll Make a Man out of You" by Donny Osmond & others
Okay, I know this is a Disney song, but I love it. I LOVE IT! Mulan is my favorite Disney movie ever!! Ever! And the scene this is from, the one where Captain Li Shang is training Mulan and the boys, is like the most inspiring movie scene in the history of the universe. It just makes you feel like you can accomplish anything and it's particularly helpful when you're working you're butt off on the treadmill and about ready to collapse. I mean, if Mulan can climb up a 60 foot wooden pole carrying two heavy medallion thingies, wearing shoes with absolutely no grip on them, I think I can run another 10-15 minutes alone in my basement in my flip-floppers. So yeah. And, it's strategically placed to help boost your moral when you're about half way through and getting kind of tired. I hope it inspires you as much as it inspires me!

11. "Beat It" by Michael Jackson
Gotta have the king of pop on your workout mix. No further explanation necessary. Oh wait, hey, did you know Weird Al made a spoof on it called "Eat It"? So funny... You might wanna listen to it if you have time and are into that sort of stuff.

12. "Piece of me" by Britney Spears
Yes, yes, yes I know it's Britney Spears. But.......here's the thing......... she's so fun to dance to! And really, in my humble opinion, great for getting your freaky-inner-health-nut on. I like this song of hers (released in 2007) because it's basically a retort to all the crap the media has given her. And it's sassy... and catchy.... and.... FUN. Okay? Stop laughing at me!!! Stop it!!

13. "Judas" by Lady Gaga
A very fun gaga song. It's from her newest album and it has SUCH a great music video!! I command that you go watch it. Right now. Nownownownownow. It's just fabulous.

14. "Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynyrd Skynyrd
Lynyrd Skynyrd is an epic, awe-inspiring band. This is a little toned down, to let you ease out of your calorie burning fury and I feel like it gives the playlist a little closure.

15. "Hard Day's Night" by The Beatles
Well... By now, it'll have been a hard day's night from all that working like a dog. This is for you to sit back and relax to after a long, hopefully fruitful, workout. We all know and love The Beatles, so you know this is a great song and a great way to end our mix tape!

Well, I hope you liked it! This one was a little rushed but I don't think it turned out too bad. I definitely recommend you check out some of the songs on YouTube or Spotify if they look interesting. Most of these are pretty famous (I tried not to go to crazy), so I think you can expect some less well known songs next Wednesday, just to even it out a little. That's all then! Happy Listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment