Saturday, December 24, 2011

Mix Tape #8: HOLIDAY HOOPLA!

Yesss.... Christmas music. THIS. IS. HAPPENING.
It may be terribly cheesy, but one of my favorite parts of Christmas is the music. Since I've listened to it every Christmas since before I can remember, it's become a very important part of the season for me. So I just have to make a quick mix about it! Especially since it's Christmas Eve. Again, sorry if you don't celebrate the holiday, but I think you can still enjoy the music! I prefer songs that are happy and santa clausy and capture the feel of the holiday, not the religious aspect of it. For me, the season is really more about celebrating family, friends and SUGAR. But that's just me, to each his own!
Anyways, let's return to the music. I think anybody who listens to Christmas music know the Christmas classics. When you're making a Christmas mix tape, the question really isn't "which songs do I include?" but rather "which artists?" So I'm including my favorite artist for each song straight up, then explaining my decision in the little narration thingy. Okay, are you ready? Let's go!

1. "The Christmas Song" by Frank Sinatra
I think this song is just a Christmas classic. I actually got into a really funny argument about it the other day with a couple people. Two of my friends, who we shall call Chuck and Irene, were convinced that the song went "Jack Frost BITING at your TOES", when in reality it goes "Jack Frost NIPPING at your NOSE". During this argument, I actually exclaimed the phrase, "CHUCK, WHY ON EARTH WOULD HE NIP AT YOUR TOES WHEN YOUR NOSE IS FULLY EXPOSED??" Say it out loud, it's a pretty funny sentence. AAAHhhhh but I'm getting off topic. Let's get back to the song. It's a classic, and therefore recorded many, many, many times by lots and lots of different people, from Justin Bieber all the way to Ella Fitzgerald. But my personal favorite is Frank Sinatra's. I mean, he's Frank Sinatra! A classic, singing a classic. Perfect.

2. "White Christmas" by Elvis Presley
Also, a classic. Argh who am I kidding these are all classics! This one has also been recorded by loads of musicians, but my personal favorite is the version by none other than the king of rock n roll himself... Mr. Elvis Presley. He just puts this whole new spin on the song, but makes it sound so natural and... perfect! This song just makes me fall in love with the king over and over... :) You should check it out if you haven't heard it before. It's really good.

3. "Baby, It's Cold Outside" by James Taylor ft. Natalie Cole
I LOVE this song so so so much. It's my favorite duet. Not Christmas duet. Duet. PERIOD. I just love it. It's so cute and fun to sing and just awesome. I love this version because I just love James Taylor's voice. It's so different and relaxing and gorgeous. And the two are so cute in the song! They talk a little in between verses and it's actually pretty funny. I love how he says the last sentence at the end, "It is a PERFECTLY NICE DRINK." Really. Listen, you'll see. But umm.. I have a confession. As you may know my celebrity crush is Darren Criss and I have to admit I really love his and Chris Colfer's version from Glee. There, I said it. I feel like such a teenager. But it really is good and I like it. So deal. :)

4. "All I Want for Christmas Is You" by Mariah Carey
Again, there are quite a few covers of this song but I really think that in this case, the original is the very best. Mariah Carey does such a great job with this song and it always makes me feel so cheery and smiley. I really never pay any attention to the other versions 'cuz I like this one so much more. How about you?

5. "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" by Jackson 5
I have to say, this is one weird song. I mean, I love it, but it's pretty messed up. I guess it's supposed to be about this kid who sees his mom kissing Santa and then decides to go taddle to his daddy, not realizing that it was in fact this very same parental unit who was dressed up as Santa. But this doesn't make any sense! Why would the dad dress up as Santa? Maybe because he knew his nosy little kid would be spying on the stocking-filling process? But then why would he go kiss his wife if he knew the kid was watching?!?! Why would you want to wish such a traumatic experience onto your tiny child? And let's remember, this wasn't only kissing. It was kissing and TICKLING. Ewwww parent PDA. So to sum up: either the parents know the kid's there and want him to spend the next 10 years in intensive therapy, OR the dad just enjoys waking up in the middle of the night to dress up like Santa Claus. Both explanations are pretty creepy. But never the less, this song is best when it's being sung by little Michael Jackson. :) It's perfect because in the recording he's actually at the perfect age for this song, instead of an adult creepily trying to sound like a kid. So yeah. The Jackson 5 version is my favorite. :)

6. "Winter Wonderland" by Bing Crosby
I figured I ought to include a Bing Crosby song, since he kind of is one of the big Christmas music classics. I really like his version of Winter Wonderland, so that's the one I'm including here. Fun Fact: the Eurythmics did a pretty cool cover of this song if you're interested.

7. "Santa Baby" by Eartha Kitt
Okay, I have heard SO MANY versions of this song, but I can't stand any of them. Not even Madonna's. Because Eartha Kitt's is the best. Man, I feel like such a Christmas song nerd. But that's my stand on this song. There's simply no competition. She captures the essence of it all, but she doesn't overdue it. And her voice is just so perfect for it! In fact... I'm gonna go listen to it... "I really do believe in you.. Let's see if you.. believe in meeee..." :D

8. "Tennessee Christmas" by Amy Grant
This is my mom's absolute favorite Christmas song (even though we don't live in Tennessee). And I can definitely see why. It's so sweet and tender and Christmas-y.... And Amy Grant's voice is just a dream. I just love it! It makes me feel all warm and fuzzzy. And I can't resist the phrase "tender Tennessee Christmas". What can I say, I'm a sucker for alliteration.

So there ya go! I realize this is a little late, seeing as it's already Christmas eve, but I hope you enjoy it anyhow. And besides, I don't really think the Christmas music's got to end the day after Christmas! It doesn't, does it? Maybe I'm just nuts. Ohhh well. Merry Christmas everyone! I hope you get everything you wished for!! If you didn't, come talk to me. I've got connections up at the North Pole (I used to do Santa's dry cleaning. SO. MANY. COOKIE CRUMBS.)

The Christmas Song (Frank Sinatra)
White Christmas (Elvis Presley)
Baby, It's Cold Outside (James Taylor ft. Natalie Cole)
All I Want For Christmas Is You (Mariah Carey)
I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus (Jackson 5)
Winter Wonderland (Bing Crosby)
Santa Baby (Eartha Kit)
Tennessee Christmas (Amy Grant)

1 comment:

  1. Santa Baby is the best Christmas song to strip to, in my opinion. =)

    ReplyDelete